Available via an annual subscription, our 32 fact sheets cover 9 different Medicare and other health insurance topics. Those fact sheets pertaining to Long-Term Care include:
- Options for Financing Long-Term Care(H-001)
- An Overview of Long-Term Care Insurance (H-002)
- Frequently Asked Questions about Long-Term Care Insurance(H-003)
Websites and other resources:
- AARP Report: Comparing Long-Term Care Insurance Policies: Bewildering Choices for Consumers
- Authored by Bonnie Burns of California Health Advocates, this report reviews the long-term care (LTC) insurance options available to consumers and offers helpful recommendations.
- Administration on Aging (AoA)
- Information and links to community and agency resources and services for older adults.
- California Advocates for Nursing Home Reform (CANHR)
- 1-800-474-1116 Offers consumer information on nursing homes, Medi-Cal, LTC, pre-placement counseling, quality of care and pension rights counseling.
- California Association of Area Agencies on Aging (C4A)
- Services and programs for older adults and people with disabilities, including LTC services. Website includes each county's Area Agencies on Aging.
- California Department of Aging
- Oversees programs for older adults, people with disabilities, caregivers and LTC facility residents. Website includes Taking Care of Tomorrow, a booklet about LTC options. Available in English and Spanish.
- California Department of Insurance
- Offers consumer information on LTC insurance and a rate guide for companies selling LTC insurance.
- California Medicare News
- Variety of current articles on Medicare-related topics, including LTC.
- California Nursing Home Guide
- Provides information on all available nursing homes in California. This guide is produced and maintained by CANHR and was the first computerized nursing home information system in the country.
- California Partnership for Long-Term Care
- 1-800-227-3445 Information on LTC insurance, including Partnership policies.
- California Public Employees' Retirement System (CalPERS)
- 1-800-982-1775 LTC insurance for California public employees, retirees, their spouses, parents, parents-in-law and adult siblings (age 18 and over).
- California State Teachers' Retirement System (CalSTRS)
- 1-800-228-5453 Information on retirement planning and benefits for California teachers.
- Rates the care at nursing homes, hospice and home health agencies, and provides information on assisted living, retirement communities, and day care options. Also has a “Long Term Care Assistant” tool that uses 10 simple questions to help you choose among your long-term care options.
- Federal Long Term Care Insurance Program (FLTCIP)
- 1-800-582-3337 LTC insurance for federal and postal employees, beneficiaries of annuities, members and retired members of the uniformed services, and qualified relatives.
- Health Insurance Counseling & Advocacy Program (HICAP)
- 1-800-434-0222 Free counseling on Medicare and other health-related issues, including LTC and LTC insurance.
- Provides tools and information on long-term care planning options and material on Medicaid eligibility for long-term care.
- Long Term Care Ombudsman
- 1-800-231-4024; Sacramento: 916-323-6681 Offers information about nursing homes and resolves problems between nursing homes and residents or their families.
- Network of Care
- Comprehensive service directory for consumers, community-based organizations and municipal government workers. Provides links to pertinent websites and offers a comprehensive library, political advocacy tool and community message boards.
Updated April 16, 2013